Monday, March 1, 2010

In like a lion...

out like a lamb.  Hopefully.  It's March first, and the first day of making healthier choices for the next 4 months.  Our whole family will be "spring cleaning", not only our home, but our minds, bodies, and attitudes as well.  We're all ready to be a little healthier.

The girls signed up for the walking school bus.  The program was supposed to start back up today, but the weather guidelines are pushing that start up back a little further.  We decided to walk anyway, which was fun and refreshing.  Until they started complaining about frozen hands and legs that wouldn't take them any further.  Then, while the crossing guard was helping us cross the street right before we hit school property, Lilly spilled her smoothie.  On her coat.  On her fleece jacket.  On her jeans.  And on her lunchbox.  yeah.  That was fun.  But it will be fun.  It will.  We'll get there.

I also decided that it was high time that I lost this baby weight for good!  My youngest baby is 6.  And a half.  It's time.  My goal is to lose 20 pounds in 4 months.  I am going to do this not by counting calories and being a slave to fitness, but by cooking my meals and using common sense.  The family will benefit from all the healthy home cooked yumminess too!  I will be walking every morning before work and school.  On my days off I'll do a workout video until the weather gets nice, and then I'll have much more options for exercise.  I will listen to my body when it is full.  When I feel an emotional eating binge coming on strong I will pause, practice deep breathing, and treat myself in a healthy way (like buying myself an unsweet tea instead of a box of hostess cupcakes).  I will treat myself like you would a child when it comes to eating.....small portions, lots of fruits and vegetables, hardly any processed junk, and a homemade cookie once an a while.  I will work harder to keep a clean house, which will minimize couch time.  After the 4 months is up, I'll probably continue to lose a few more pounds, tighten up the muscles, and work towards my dream body.  Well not my real dream body, but my near 30 had 2 kids body.

What I ate today:

  •  1 c yoplait strawberry banana smoothie (found in the freezer section)
  •  4 colby jack cheese cubes
  •  2 two bite everthing bagel with cream cheese leftovers from the girls
  •  chicken lunch meat on wheat bread with mustard 
  •  apple slices
  •  1/2 bag of m&m's (nobody's perfect)
  •  a slice of french bread
  •  beans & rice
  •  1/2 c orange juice
  •  1/2 baked peach cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream

 

Roasted Peach Crisp
adapted from Cook Yourself Thin
2 peaches halved and pitted
honey
1 large egg white
2 pinches brown sugar
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
dash of salt
1/4 c smashed up almonds
1/3 c instant oats

Preheat oven to 425.
Place peaches face up in glass baking dish.  Drizzle honey on top.  Put a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the pan.  Cook peaches for 30 minutes.
In the meantime, mix the other ingredients in a bowl, then spread out on a small baking dish.  Place alongside peaches for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
Break up cobbler and place over peaches, and of course top with vanilla ice cream. 


What did you eat today?

2 comments:

Cyndi loves to stitch said...

another hint, eat you meals off of dessert size plates. plate looks full but you have smaller portions. yea!

I enjoy reading your blog, hope you are enjoying it too!

Nicole Coffin. said...

thanks stitch bee. :) dessert plates DO work. (plus they're cuter) great idea!