Wednesday, February 23, 2011

a new feature...

IMG_1485So I've decided that I should do a few weekly features on the old blog, to encourage regular posting.  I'm always seeking out new pieces of knowledge, so what better than sharing a "wednesday wisdom" feature?!  I definitely want to do a "friday favorites" feature.  Other features floating around in my head include "music mondays", "material mondays", "thrifty thursdays", and some sort of weekly recipe feature (which I'm not clever enough to name at the moment!).  What do you think?  What do you gals like reading about on blogs?  Maybe a "sunday funday", with optimistic motivational tips?  Well, lets just stick to Wednesday Wisdom for now anyway.
Since it's late, and I can't come up with anything more interesting off the top of my head right now, you get dictionary.com "word of the day".  It's a fun one!

Word of the Day

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

bailiwick

\ BAY-luh-wik \  , noun;
1.
A person's specific area of knowledge, authority, interest, skill, or work.
2.
The office or district of a bailiff.
Quotes:
I'll give it a try, but this is not my bailiwick .
-- Sue Grafton, 'L' Is for Lawless
He "professed ignorance, as of something outside my bailiwick ."
-- Marc Aronson, "Wharton and the House of Scribner: The Novelist as a Pain in the Neck", New York Times , January 2, 1994
Fund-raising was Cliff's bailiwick , anyway, and he seemed to have it in hand.
-- Curt Sampson, The Masters
Origin:
Bailiwick  comes from Middle English baillifwik , from baillif , "bailiff" (ultimately from Latin bajulus , "porter, carrier") + wik , "town," from Old English wic , from Latin vicus , "village."
POWERED BY 4INFO

No comments: