Thursday, March 3, 2011

dog walker

dog walker
I feel like I haven't posted in a long time, even though it's only been a few days. I've been distracted I guess. March is the month I am starting my healthy weight loss goal. But dear Aunt Flow is visiting for a few days, so needless to say, I'm not starting off too hot. I am walking the dog though. It has been a real snowy winter, so puppy didn't get a lot of outside playtime. German shepherds are a big, active breed. They need lots of exercise & "feel happiest when they have a job to do". I've been trying to get him used to behaving in public around random people. He's learned really well how to walk at my pace (he doesn't pull as much- a shorter leash works really well for this), but has started to bark at strangers, which is not cool. A lot of people are scared of German shepherds, and while I'm happy that he is protective, I don't want to scare gentle people (like children). Also, he sniffs around a lot, but he doesn't pee or poop in the park, which I think is kinda weird. Actually, he might pee on a regular neighborhood walk once in a blue moon, but he never poops. It's pretty cool actually, because I always thought that bringing around a "pet waste bag" to pick up a fresh pile was the most revolting thing ever. I would still pick it up (I mean, I am a mom. I've dealt with worse for sure.), but still. The main thing is getting him used to being around people & other dogs. He's learning. And the exercise is fantastic! I don't think I'll have to worry about crunches or weights either. Just controlling a 50 pound dog is making me pretty sore...it's awesome! The girls keep asking me if they can hold his leash, but I just don't trust that yet. Even I have to really work my muscles to control him- he's pretty powerful. And he's only 6 months old. Oh my!

No comments: